This sculpted bandshell flaked by colonnades is the focal point of the Music Concourse. Completed in the Italian Renaissance style, it has hosted numerous performers over the years -- everyone from opera singer Luciano Pavarotti to the Grateful Dead. The Golden Gate Park Band has played 25 free concerts here every year on Sundays since the bandshell was built.
It was dedicated on September 9, 1900, but it suffered serious damaged during the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes and has repeatedly undergone extensive restorations. It was designed to serve an audience of 20,000 and placed low in the ground to protect listeners from the wind.
The Spreckels Temple of Music was designed by the Reid Brothers architects, and the relief sculptures were completed by Robert Aitken. The female nude on the left holds a U-shaped harp called a lyre and the one on the right has a trumpet.
The building is named in honor of industrialist Claus Spreckels (of the Spreckels Sugar Company) who gave $75,000 towards the $78,810 it cost to build.
Centered in the west end of Golden Gate Park's Music Concourse