This statue replaced another of Lincoln done by Pietro Mazarra that was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake. The original was commissioned after Lincoln's assassination. It showed Lincoln standing instead of sitting, and was dedicated on August 10, 1865.
This version of Lincoln was cast in 1926, installed 1927, and dedicated on February 13, 1928.
The stone inscription reads,
Erected by Public Subscription under the auspices of the Lincoln Monument League representing the Grand Army of the
Republic and the Lincoln Grammar School Association of San Francisco"
In front of the south-east corner of San Francisco's City Hall, at Polk and Grove Streets